Effective July 1, 2015 NC Law now requires a TDap booster and a Meningitis vaccine for entry into the seventh grade grade.
These boosters are needed to protect against whooping cough, tetanus, diptheria. Over time the original vaccination wears off, so a booster is needed to stay fully protected.
Meningitis vaccine is needed to protect students from the bacteria that causes meningitis. This disease is rare, but severe, causing sepsis and meningitis, which can result in death or permanent disability.
What should you do?
- Contact your child's doctor to determine if your child needs the TDap booster or meningitis vaccine
- Make sure your child gets the booster during their sixth grade year, before the start of their seventh grade year.
- Get a copy of your child's shot record to take to school
- Check with your doctor to make sure your child is up-to-date with all other vaccinatio
Where can my child get these vaccines?
- Your child's doctor
- Johnston County Health Department: 989-5222 or 989-5272
Proof of the vaccination can be turned into the front office to the nurses' attention.
Acceptable Proof of Vaccination:
- Copy of Updated Vaccination Record
- Doctor's Note stating that TDAP and meningitis vaccines were given - not simply that student was "seen in office."